Monday, August 27, 2007

Insuring that Tomorrow Will be a Fun Day

...by staying up late and writing nonsense on my blog. Tomorrow I fly back to Rochester. I awoke this morning with a little knot of excitement in my stomach. When I was wee, I used to try to attach specific language to that "flutterly" feeling. For me, the image of a swarm of butterflies madly flapping their wings wasn't sufficient. So I decided upon squirrels. Squirrels running laps. Anyway, that's feeling I woke up with.
At first I attributed it to anxiety about the myriad of errands that needed to be completed. But then I realized...I am going back to school. The event I have been anticipating since we started the moving process.

But today was bittersweet too. I'd promised the ladies at work that I would come back and say good bye. I've worked at Sharp for six years. I didn't realize that this might be the very last time that I am leaving. Get what I mean? This is the last summer working there. Its the last summer in a lot of ways. So I hugged the women who had seen me go from really awkward teenager to a woman about to graduate form college. I went out the back door and promptly burst into tears.

Then I had to drop off my final batch of images at Volume One. My boss told me I was their best intern and that I take really awesome photos. While that I might seem like a little thing, it meant a lot to me. I attach so much emotion to my photography that positive feedback from others reaffirms my confidence. The only thing I don't attach these types of emotions to is my writing and my knitting. But that is something to ruminate over another time.

The whole point of this post was to waste time until my alarm goes off at 2AM. I have to be on the airport shuttle at 3:15AM. To catch my flight at 6:50AM. At least I'll be able to catch the lunar eclipse.

Tomorrow I leave. I can't believe that it will have been four years. It's gone by so fast.

I would also like to know how I got this tuna smell attached to my hands. I make a particular point not to come in direct contact with that substance under any circumstances. I was going to blame it on the neighbors until the smell followed me to my keyboard. Someone is playing a cruel joke on me.

Keep checking back. I'll be posting photos of copulating butterflies when I've got an ethernet connection again.

No comments: